02 Dec Winter Skin Care Tips
In winter, skin care is a little different from other seasons. In winter, temperatures drop and air can become bitingly cold and dry. People come in from the chilly air to internal heating, which is also drying. These environmental factors damage the stratum corneum – the protective top layer of skin – and may result in flaking, cracking, redness, inflammation and itchy skin. According to research, the “stratum corneum, plays a crucial role in retaining hydration; if its structure or composition is compromised, dry skin may result as a consequence of poor water retention”. The stratum corneum contains dead skin cells, natural oils (lipids), and water. The natural oils and water are what need replenishing, year round, but especially in winter.
Prevention is Always Better than Correction
From Hair On provides several corrective skin treatments, such as laser skin rejuvenation, microdermabrasion, and facials. While these safe treatments can repair some of the visible damage caused by aging and the environment, people who have longstanding skin care rituals usually don’t need as much “correction” as those who neglect daily skin care. The skin care you “put in the bank” today, will pay off down the road. Your skin will be healthier, appear more youthful, and retain its natural elasticity and fullness for longer. You’ll also need fewer corrective treatments in the future.
Daily Winter Skin Care
In winter, the most important aspects of skin care are:
- Retaining natural moisture
- Adding lost moisture
- Defending against sun and wind
Following are some tips to prevent and correct skin dryness in winter:
- Use a daily “occlusive” moisturizer. Occlusive moisturizers contain natural oils such as mineral oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba, and natural waxes such as carnauba or bees wax. Some oil-based moisturizers are two-in-one products that also contain humectants, which attract and help retain moisture.
- Switch to more gentle exfoliation products.
- Switch to moisturizing cleansers.
- Continue using sunscreen with a high SPF.
- Prevent chapped lips by using lip balms, especially before you go out into the cold. Choose a lip balms that contain natural oils and waxes.
- Reduce the heat of bath water or shower water and bathe or shower for shorter periods of time.
- Drink plenty of water each day. The “8-cups a day rule” works well and is easy to remember.
- Consider using a humidifier in your home.
- Dress properly for wintry weather. Cover as much skin as you can by wearing a longer coat and zip it up! Wear high neck sweaters (cowl or turtleneck). Wear a toque and cover your ears! Wear a cozy scarf to protect your neck and even your chin. Wear gloves to protect your hands.
Book a Hydrating European Facial at From Hair On
Book a hydrating European Facial at From Hair On Salon in Port Moody. Facials can be customized to suit your skin needs and are an effective preventative and corrective treatment for winter skin dryness.